Westwood College Scam



Students say college misled them
01:46 PM CST on Tuesday, February 22, 2005

By BYRON HARRIS / WFAA-TV


There's a long-held American belief that education is the key to a better life.

But a News 8 investigation has found that scores of young men and women claim to have been duped by a chain of private schools in North Texas.

They were fresh out of high school. They often lacked the grades or money for college. Yet, they wanted a degree that will lead them to a career, so they went to a private for-profit school called Westwood College of Technology for an associate degree.

What many said they got, however, were a worthless piece of paper and crippling debt.

Each morning seems bright for hundreds of students on Westwood's campuses in Euless and Dallas, because every minute spent on those campuses is based on the promise of a better life through education - a sense of promise based on Westwood's widely-aired TV commercials.

"You need to know where the really hot careers are," said the ad. "You have lots of questions, and Westwood College has lots of answers."

Westwood is expensive, from $27,000 to $34,000 for about a year and a half of classes. That's as much as a year's tuition at Harvard, or four years at UT-Austin.

Brazell said. "We were trained to make them 'feel their pain.'"

And pain is what Katrina Vargas, a single mom, felt after completing her degree at Westwood.

"Now I'm a single mother, still, and I'm in so much debt," Vargas said. "I have marks on my credit, I can't pay for my daughter's needs ... my mom has to help me."

"I got people in financial jeopardy rather than getting into a career," Brazell said. "They made bets with me on how many students I would enroll."

READ THE ENTIRE STORY:
Students say college misled them, WFAA News, Byron Harris

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sharon"
To: stephen schoeni salliemae com
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:52 AM
Subject: Prison


"...And pain is what Katrina Vargas, a single mom, felt after completing her degree at Westwood. "Now I'm a single mother, still, and I'm in so much debt," Vargas said. "I have marks on my credit, I can't pay for my daughter's needs ... my mom has to help me."
~ Dallas /Fort Worth, Texas

I feel their pain, Mr. Schoeni, being I'm living through the same financial nightmare your predatory business practices lured me and untold tens of thousands into.

When Mr. Wong asked me to advertise your scam from _my_ science blog and our science web sites? Ha, there's no way... but I did tell him I'd give Sallie Mae/Westwood Scam lots of PRO BONO exposure.
I read today on one site I found discussing the Westwood fraud, that somebody 'had taken down the fight westwood site'..
Okay, as promised to do, I'll do my part and create a blogspot (~fight-westwood.blogspot.com) their idea which is good enough -- and adding lots of links to information like the article at WFAA News (Dallas / Fort Worth).. and I'll use all the pre-existing sites at my disposal to give top billing to exposing and linking to the Westwood College Online / Sallie Mae fraud, republishing some of the same letters I've shared with you and the reporters.
If victims of the Westwood fraud want to come mourn their sorrow, then I'll welcome them with an open embrace. But there will be no greater reason to rejoice, when the criminals at Sallie Mae and Westwood, are sitting behind bars.

You people deserve only a long stretch in federal prison, and the key thrown away!

Best, Sharon

9 comments:

  1. A lawsuit case was won by more than 60 students in texas against westwood college but they were told to remain in silence. I almost got involved but I lagged and I'm still in debt. A new lawsuit should be started.

    hit me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lawsuit was won by more than 60 students against westwood in texas but they were told to stay in silence. A new lawsuit should be started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've recently become a victim of Westwoods scam. My grandmother realized earlier this year the amount of interest being charged on my loan by SallyMae. For a 3,000 dollar loan we would end up paying around 7,000 with her as a cosigner. She wasn't down with this and neither was I, so she agreed to pay off my loan and privately fund my schooling from that point out. She even made sure to pay up through May. Due to a "lack of funding," I was withdrawn from my classes last week and told that I had a 5,000 dollar gap in my funding. Upon looking through old emails on my student account, I happened upon one from my Financial advisor, giving me the cost for a year pursuing the degree I wanted as a paralegal. The price for a years tuition, including books and software, was estimated to be around $15,000 at the most.

    I sent an email to my financial advisor pointing out that the amount they said I would owe to complete the semester was a third of a years tuition and have still yet to get a response. I am wondering how much grounds for a lawsuit there is. How did the previous 60 students go about their settlement? Do I have enough information to back my own case?

    My Grandmother still has all of her SallyMae paperwork and I have catelogued emails from Westwood on what they told me would be my tuition fees as well as their continuing bombardment of "student union" emails they keep sending, even after being withdrawn. I am still shocked that they withdrew me two weeks before the end of the semester.

    Completely unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I just found out about Westwood being a COMPLETE scam!, and if you want to start a real website on fighting Westwood, I'll do it free...

    I was going for the Web Design & Multimedia course, but I am SO glad that I knew how to do this stuff before going... Because they haven't taught me anything!

    The website will be made free if you want it, just contact me at either Rebecca@sireq.com or Contact@essencewebsitedesign.com

    Thanks,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I graduated from Westwood Online with a Bachelor's degree in animation. I had a really good experience as all the teachers were (or at least appeared to be) highly credentialed and knowledgeable. I also have a Sallie Mae tuition cost of over $90,000 to repay which does not include almost $10,000 of 'trickle down' costs that my student loans did not cover. This is a real heart-ache for me, especially with all the bad publicity Westwood has been getting for trying to scam students. I have yet to actively pursue a different career with my degree because I've been extremely busy with family and in my current job which thankfully pays well. However, it is very discouraging to start composing resumes if the name 'Westwood' is a blacklisted in the industry. I sincerely hope I did not lock myself into a false dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave wrote: "I have yet to actively pursue a different career with my degree ... and in my current job which thankfully pays well."

    SO I GATHER WESTWOOD IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SUCCESS.

    What about a single Mom who withdrawels 1 year after when she realizes its a scam, and must repay 1/2 or even 1/3 of that? $90,000 Plus $10,000 in trickle down costs? A whopping $100,000 ... men might see things just a little different than a single Mom. ... what single Mom can afford to repay that kind of highway robbery?

    The $20,000 they ripped me off for, was all I could possibly afford. I had no idea they'd bloodsucked that in just one year. Should've covered four years in any legitimate college. In just one year, Westwood robbed me of any hope of getting a degree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ive payed westwood about $500 for a $1000 outstanding balance and i decided to make payments of $150 from april 2009 to july 2009. when i asked for my balance they tell me that i havnt payed anything!!! where is my money?!?! im a single mother of 3 and i cant afford to repay! what do i do?? please someone help!! vangieo06@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you write it by check, or bank records?? There would indeed be records by bank / cards.
    I hope you did not pay them in cash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Westwood Sucks! I went to westwood college for autocad with interior finishes course, graduated top in my class and have yet to find a job in that field. I have over $17,000 in debt just from them. I want to sue the pants off of them and get my dignity back because I have truely been robbed of it. Does anyone have any idea how to go about sueing them or anything along those lines.
    A.Fuller

    ReplyDelete